Sports Roots is an international sports training, management & marketing company, with offices in Gurgaon (India) and Paris (France). It has been founded by Thomas Lavenant and Rajesh Mehrotra, two sports professionals who have between themselves more than 35 years of rich international experience working on marquee sports properties (including ICC Cricket Events, IPL, Indian Open – Golf, FIFA World Cup, Olympics, ATP Tennis etc.) to structure their commercial program, conduct event operations & activation, enhance fan engagement and experiences, and develop their sport.
Sports Roots’ main vocation is to bring ‘best in class’ sports training and skill programs to India. We strongly believe that to build a vibrant sports culture in the country we need to intervene with children and youth at the grass roots level; and endeavour to give them a rich and impactful experience at their doorstep.
In the sports training area, Sports Roots aims to transform the manner in which sport is played at the grass roots level in India by creating world-class, structured & age-appropriate training programs.
We also partner with brands to drive their sports strategy, grow internationally, and enable them to meet their consumers in an ‘arena of shared passion’.
As a start, Sports Roots has formed an exclusive partnership with iconic Paris Saint-Germain to open Paris Saint-Germain football academies in India. The training program will follow the same methodology used by the Club in its Academy in Paris. The authenticity of the program and its effective implementation will be managed by one of the most experienced youth coach from Paris Saint-Germain who will stay in India to work hands-on at the academies.
Social responsibility is also at the heart of our approach and we are working on various initiatives that will benefit under-privileged Indian children, such as organizing Paris Saint-Germain football camps in under-privileged areas around the country.
- 43 year-old Indian based in Delhi
- Associated with the business of sports in India for about 20 years
- Formerly a VP at Nimbus Sport, Rajesh added distinctive value to the large commercial partnerships he worked on
- Sports Sponsorships & Event Operations across a spectrum of world-class events e.g. ICC Events 2000-2007, Asia Cup, Indian Open- Golf etc.
- Strong relationships with all stakeholders within the sports ecosystem in the Indian subcontinent
- Relevant competencies: grass root program development, sponsorship and media rights selling & servicing, working with international brands, sports fan
- 41 year-old French based in Paris
- Northeastern University MBA (Boston, USA)
- 15 years international experience in the sports industry, working in senior roles with marquee properties and sponsors (FIFA World Cup, ICC events, ATP tournaments, etc.°
- Managing Director of H Q EVENTS, a Paris-based agency Thomas founded in 2005 and which offers services in sports marketing, event operations, fan experience, digital solutions in sports, and international development for sports properties & programs
- Member of the Board of So 5, the first ever five-a-side football centre in Brazil and host of the PSG Academy Rio (which Thomas brought to So 5)
- Rich sport business network in various parts of the World, including football in Europe and Brazil
- Relevant competencies: commercial and operational development of sport properties; building teams and managing large complex projects in a multicultural environment; innovative solutions for sports organisations; fan experience/engagement; football fan (Paris Saint-Germain) and player; bilingual French-English; knowledge, experience, and understanding of Indian culture